Date: Saturday, May 5
Time: 10:00 - 11:00 am
Where: Aspen Valley Hospital, meet in the Castle Creek Cafe
Health topic: Healthy Lifestyle and the Blue Zones
How do we attain optimum health and happiness?
Lessons from The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner. How to live and eat like the World's healthiest places i.e. Ikaria, Greece; Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Loma Linda, CA; Nicola Peninsula, Costa Rica.
The 9 Components of the Blue Zones: Move Naturally (walk, have a garden), Right Outlook i.e. Purpose (ikigai= reason to get up each morning), Downshift (Sundays, meditation, time for laughter), Eat Wisely i.e. 80% rule (Hari hachi bu), Plant Slant, Wine at 5 (not excess and only if you have a healthy relationship with alcohol), and Belong i.e. Right Tribe (moais- groups of friends who commit to each other for life i.e. a walking moai), Community (faith based or other), Loved Ones First (family, significant other etc. are paramount), No Smoking and Get Good Sleep.
How do we create our own healthy environment and Blue Zone?
1. Get temptations (i.e. junk food, soda, etc.) out of the house or put them in out-of-reach places while replacing them with healthy foods (i.e. fruit and veggies). Make those healthy items easily accessible.
2. Get rid of remotes for the TV so you have to stand up and move to change the channel. Pre-plate foods so if you want more you have move to get it. Disconnect your garage door opener.
3. Drink out of tall narrow glasses and eat out of plates no larger than 10 inches. Water should be your drink of choice several times a day.
4. Make your bedroom a no-electric zone, dim the lights 1 hour before bed, have a comfortable bed and pillows, set temp at night to 65.
5. Get a dog (or go walk one at the shelter), ride your bike to work, grow your own garden,
6. Get a stand up desk and hide junk food at work (or better yet encourage no junk food but only healthy snacks)
7. Surround yourself with friends who are positive influencers (i.e. non-smokers, upbeat, health oriented, enjoy outdoor activities, etc.) since good habits, just like bad habits, are contagious,
9. Set your intention for the day in the morning and re-evaluate how you did that night. Write 3 things you are grateful for every day. Breathe!
10. Add Dr. Michael Greger’s Daily Dozen App to your phone and follow it as best as you can. At a minimum eat your GBOMBS-T daily with some exercise daily (i.e. 10 min walking 3-4 x a day at the minimum)… minimize alcohol and no smoking!