Baby Friendly Hospital
Aspen Birth Center is Designated “Baby-Friendly” Facility
Aspen Birth Center lactation services are dedicated to your breastfeeding success.
Of course a birth center is going to be baby friendly. But being awarded the “Baby-Friendly” designation means meeting the criteria identified by Baby-Friendly USA, Inc., the U.S. authority for the implementation of a global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The initiative encourages and recognizes hospitals that offer an optimal level of care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. Including AVH, there are just five hospitals in Colorado to achieve this designation.
Certified lactation consultants and a “Bosom Buddies” support group for new moms are just two of the ways AVH staff help new mothers gain information, confidence, and skills to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies.
Learn how Aspen Birth Center can set your family up for the birth experience you are hoping for.
Watch a recent episode of Grassroots TV here "Medicine in the Mountains" with Heather Knott, RN-IBCLC.
One Have a written breastfeeding policy is routinely communicated to all healthcare staff.
Baby Friendly Ten Steps to Success:
Two Train all health care staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
Three Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
Four Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
Five Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation even if they are separated from their infants.
Six Give infants no food or drink, other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
Seven Practice rooming-in- allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
Eight Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
Nine Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
Ten Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or birth center.
The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding form the basis of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, a worldwide breastfeeding quality improvement project created by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
Baby-Friendly hospitals and birth centers also uphold the International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes by offering parents support, education, and educational materials that promote the use of human milk rather than other infant food or drinks, and by refusing to accept or distribute free or subsidized supplies of breastmilk substitutes, nipples, and other feeding devices.
- Inpatient Lactation Services:All mothers who deliver at the Aspen Birth Center are provided a daily visit and complimentary return visit with a certified lactation counselor to support you in breastfeeding.
- "Bosom Buddies" Breastfeeding Support Group meets weekly at the Aspen Birth Center. This is a social group that also provides professional and peer counseling for breastfeeding support. This group is led by a lactation counselor. For more information call 970.544.1130.
- Aspen Birth Center Warmline. This phone line is dedicated to the support of breastfeeding mothers. If you experience difficulties after you go home, you may call to speak to a certified lactation counselor about your specific concerns. Your concerns may be resolved over the phone or by appointment. Call 970.544.1251.
- We encourage you to meet with our certified lactation counselors for any issues or concerns, to help you prepare for breastfeeding success prior to and after returning to work, as well as for continued support.
- Our certified lactation staff is happy to offer assistance and personal guidance when you are purchasing breastfeeding supplies from Aspen Valley Hospital.
Aspen Valley Hospital
Breast Pump Rentals and Retail Supplies
0401 Castle Creek road
Aspen, CO 81611
(970)544-1130 (24 Hours daily)
110 West Meadow
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
For more information or to schedule a consultation call 970.544.1130.